We interviewed the photographer behind the Wet Dog series

We interviewed the photographer behind the Wet Dog series
‘Wet Dog’ is a series that captures the down and out faces of our beloved pooches as they experience the harrowing experience called: bath time. In this exclusive interview, the photographer behind the series, Sophie Gamand, explores the relationship between humans and dogs in her body of work that includes dog high fashion, dog pageant, and dog rescues (she really loves dogs.) [read our original post about Wet Dog here.]

Looking at your body of work, you’ve chosen to focus on pet photography, especially dogs. What made you decide to pursue this aspect of photography? Is it because you are a dog owner yourself?

I have been photographing dogs since 2010. My interest for dog photography started by accident. I wanted to do documentary photography and I was searching for a subject when I ventured into a vet clinic. There was a dog in the waiting room, who looked so out of place and worried, it made him look human. I decided to explore all the things we do to integrate dogs in our urban lifestyle.

At the beginning, it was probably a way for me to work with people without having to photograph them. I was a little shy with my camera. Focusing on the dogs seemed easier.

I looked for various dog stories in New York and discovered the world of dog high fashion, which led to several projects including ‘Dog Vogue‘  and ‘Dog Pageant‘.

I also got very involved with dog rescue (see my ‘Dead Dog Beach‘ series). Little by little, it became clear I was completely obsessed. And somehow, I seemed to have a particular talent to capture dogs.
My style evolved and I soon noticed my fascination for headshots in particular. Dog photography tends to focus on the animalistic qualities of dogs, where, in my opinion, they have ceased to be animals long time ago.

With my photography, I wanted to show dogs as they are: intricate beings with personalities and emotions. Most of my previous projects and portfolio are on my Striking Paws website, which is now dedicated to the work I do for rescues.

You say that you get to explore the Human through our relationship with dogs. What insight or realizations have you uncovered, so far?

Dogs are the first and most striking example of artificial selection in the history of mankind. Men created dogs to fit purposes that were not fulfilled by other human partners. We shaped an entire species and subdued it, for our own personal needs and desires. I imagine that to dogs, we are gods. We dictate everything in their life. They fear us, love us, admire us.

The fact that we created them should give us a responsibility towards them. But like the Greek gods, we tend to play and push boundaries in our relationship with dogs. We love them deeply, but we also enjoy making fun of them (dog shaming is huge on the Internet right now), or laugh at the miserable looks they give us when we bathe them, like in my ‘Wet Dog’ series.

Let’s talk about your other series, ‘Dog Vogue’. Please tell us more about the story behind this fascinating look into dog fashion.

Today, in large cities such as New York, dogs often replace friends, spouses, children. They have become social anchors to many, such as the doggie moms and dads, people who carry their toy dogs in their purses and spend thousands of dollars every year in outfits and accessories. I met dog couturiers who design outfits that can sell for thousands of dollars.

I wanted to create a series to celebrate dog high fashion, because it truly is an art form, and also work with Chihuahuas because they are a fascinating breed. They are very loyal to their masters and would do anything for a treat.

Their faces are very expressive and with their larger-than-life attitude, I knew they would be perfect models for my ‘Dog Vogue’ series. I invited pet couturier Anthony Rubio to design pieces, hats and collars, and I styled the shoots. It took me over a year to complete the series.

How difficult was it trying to capture the dogs in their most vulnerable moment during bath time? How long did the shoot take?

After ‘Dog Vogue’, I needed a break and I wanted to produce a series that would be more spontaneous. I was interested in the world of dog grooming and the way we alter our dogs’ appearance. It felt like a metaphor of the passage between the wild dog to the domesticated pet. I set a studio at Ruben Santana’s grooming shop in the Bronx and I photographed for 11 hours.

It was exhausting but also creatively invigorating. I let Ruben do his thing and I just photographed everything, stopping him to take photos as he was grooming the dogs. That’s my ‘Metamorphosis’ project’. When he started bathing the dogs and I saw their expressions, I knew I had something incredible. And to go back to what I said before, in these portraits the dogs really seem to be pleading us the way we plead our God. They really mirror us. The original series “Wet Dog” was done that day.

Then I shot another session of wet dogs. The Wet Dog series has won first place in the Portraiture category of the Sony World Photography Awards this year. That was a wonderful achievement as this category is usually for human portraiture. It was the first time they awarded animal portraits. And it really validated my entire exploration and how I see dogs.

You are coming out with a ‘Wet Dog’ book next year. What can we expect from the book?

Now that I am working on a Wet Dog book (scheduled for Fall 2015 with Grand Central Publishing), the process is very different. I have been casting dogs of all breeds and sizes, looking for more groomers to associate with the project, I work out every little detail.

Then I let the dogs work their magic! The book will be a mix of miserable soggy doggies and more fun photos (lots of smiling dogs too!). More colors, more breeds, and many surprises. I am working hard to produce a beautiful, strong, fun book! I cannot wait to hold it in my hands.

If you liked Gamand’s ‘Wet Dog’ and ‘Dog Vogue’ series, you can purchase prints here and here, respectively.

wet dog


wet dog


wet dog


wet dog

The post We interviewed the photographer behind the Wet Dog series appeared first on Lost At E Minor: For creative people.

0 Comment "We interviewed the photographer behind the Wet Dog series"

Post a Comment